Other OS Setup
Usenet News Setup
Web Page Setup
Microsoft Windows Setup
These simple instructions will serve to help you configure all versions
of Microsoft Windows to dial up to Texas.net. The setup wizard called
'inetwiz' works on all recent versions of Windows(Win98/ME/2000/XP).
Configuring your Windows Dialup Connection
You are now finished with the dial up and email setup wizard. Opening up Internet Explorer
or Outlook Express should get your computer to automatically dial and connect to the
- In the lower left hand corner of Windows, click on the 'Start' icon.
Now, click on 'Run'.
A window will pop up with the field name
of 'Open'. Type in 'inetwiz', and select 'OK' or hit
the Enter Key.
- A new window will now pop up called 'Set Up Your Internet Connection'
- 'Connect using my phone line' should be checked already. If not, make
sure it is checked.
- You may now click on 'Next' to start the setup wizard.
There are several scenarios that can happen after you have clicked 'Next'.
You may be prompted to do two things depending on your computer (if you are not, skip to Step 3). The following may show up next:
- 'Create a new Dial Up Connection'(select 'Yes' to this, and click 'Next'
- 'Enter in your Area Code'
- Enter in your area code for this, and make sure
'Use Area Code and Dialing Rules' is *NOT*
checked if it is not long distance for you.
Now click on 'Next'
- If you were not prompted by any of the last screens, you should now be
at the window where it asks you to 'Type the phone number you dial to connect
to your ISP':
Click on the 'Advanced' button first, and then on the
'Addresses' tab.(right next to the 'Connection' tab you are currently on)
Under 'IP address' make sure that 'Internet service
provider automatically provides one' is selected.
Under 'DNS server address' select 'Always use the
Click on 'OK'. This will take you back to the screen where we
will enter in the Phone Number to connect with Texas.net
- If you are dialing into our Austin, Georgetown, Dripping
Springs, Houston, Spring, Dallas, or Fort Worth lines, type
22.214.171.124 and click on 'Add', then type
126.96.36.199 and click on 'Add' again.
- If you are dialing into our San Antonio, Boerne, Bandera,
or New Braunfels lines, type
188.8.131.52 and click on 'Add', then type
184.108.40.206 and click on 'Add' again.
- Enter the phone number for the
Texas.Net dialup in your area. Numbers are listed in your
Startup Kit. Make sure that 'Use area code and dialing
rules' is not selected if it is not a long distance
call for you.
A complete list of Texas.Net dialup numbers can also be found
Contact Information page.
If you are in an area that uses 10 digit local dialing, leave
the area code field blank and put all 10 digits in the phone
Click on 'Next'.
Enter your login name as it appears on your startup kit.
Your username is everything before the '@texas.net'. For
example, 'username', not 'email@example.com'.
Enter your password exactly, in upper and lower case letters,
as it appears in your Startup Kit. Click on 'Next'.
- Enter 'Texas.Net' for a connection name, and click on
You will then be asked if you want to continue setting up an Internet
Mail account. This part of the wizard will automatically configure Outlook
Express to be used for email. If you wish to do this,
select 'Yes', and click on 'Next'. If you select 'No', then
you are finished with the wizard and ready to connect to the internet.
Depending on whether or not your computer already has an email account, you
may be prompted to:
- 'Create a new Internet mail account'. Select that option, and click 'Next'
If this is not an option for you, select 'Next' and skip down to the next step..
- In the field 'Display Name', enter in your Full Name as you wish it to appear
on your emails.
- In the field 'Email Address', enter in your Full Texas.net Email Address.
- In the field 'My incomming mail server is a', make sure 'POP3'is checked.(it
is most likely that way by default).
- In the field 'Incomming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server', type in 'pop.texas.net'.
- In the field 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server', type in 'mail.texas.net'.
- In the field 'Account name', enter in your Texas.net username. Your Texas.net
username is everything before the '@texas.net'. Example: 'username', not
- In the field 'Password', enter in your Texas.net password.
You may choose
to select 'Remember password' if you do not want to have to enter your password in
each time you check your email.
Make sure 'Log on using Secure Password Authentication' is *NOT* checked.
Now click 'Next'
Configure Email Clients
Texas.Net supports a wide variety of popular internet email programs, including
both the Microsoft Internet Explorer and the Netscape Navigator.
If you prefer to use a different email program, and the
software is already on your computer, here are simple instructions on how to
configure several other popular internet programs. Our supported software
If you wish to use one of these programs and it is not yet installed on your
computer, you can download it from the
If you can't find the answers you're looking for here or you have a
suggestion for something that needs to be added to this documentation,
please feel free to send a message to our